Monday, April 14, 2008

So much love from my little friend Nani.







Ever since my injury back in 1996 I have spent a lot of time alone. It has been my choice to be alone sometimes but it has also been because of the few close friends that I have now. A lot of my friends from high school have seemed to keep their distance from me for one reason or another. I mean, I could understand that it may hurt to see me in this disabled condition but I believe if they just spent a little time with me, that they would see the same Jesse that they were best friends with back in high school. I have done my side of things to show interest of wanting to hangout. I even make random phone calls to them just to say hi and see how their doing. Not only do I want to surf with them, but I want to hangout with them, go to lunch, dinner, a concert, etc. Friends are priceless to have around. Since I am not independent due to suffering a spinal cord injury during a surfing accident, I do depend on my friends and family to help me out on a daily basis. I even have a live in caregiver that goes with me everywhere. But because of these things I feel lonely quit often, so i decided to adopt a dog. I adopted a chihuahua from the Lange Foundation in West LA. It has been an amazing experience to be able to have a little companion with me everywhere I go. My dog even cuddles up with me to sleep. I love her. Her name is Nani, it means beautiful in hawaiian. It is the little things that my dog does for me that puts a huge smile on my face and helps me to not feel as lonely as I did before. When Nani runs up to me and licks my face and jumps on my chest to cuddle up with me I can truly feel so much unconditional love from her. I love just watching her as she plays with her toys. I adore her and I know she adores me. I am so thankful that I decided to get her.

I have realized through my own experiences that sometimes being a good friend is as easy as a simple phone call, just to say hi.








6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jesse, Thanks for sharing your feelings. It's impossible to know what you go thru on a day to day basis. This helps make it "real". You've adjusted so well sometimes we forget how difficult it really must be. That goes even for me...your dad. Love you more and more every day!

Gaina said...

She's fabulous :). I think animals are especially important to disabled people. Are you going to teach her to fetch things for you? She would be the smallest assistance dog in America! Haha.

I emailed my local Assistance Dog training centre to see if I could volunteer as a trainer but incredibly you have to be able bodied to do it - go figure!

I've tried training my cat but I don't think I've found the correct method of bribery yet :P. He's very good at sensing when I'm on a downer and making me laugh, though :).

Tina said...

It really takes a strong courageous man to admit what you are going through. I can truly understand this even the part about loosing friends. I as still lucky to have one of my friends from grade school we have be friends for 26 years. You are a mere inspiration and don't ever forget it.

Take Care
Tina

Glamour Girl said...

I love you so much. xoxo

Unknown said...

Nani is beautiful. Her magic is the unconditional love. She is as lucky to have you, as you are to have her. I love that she can put a smile on your face, and Jesse...you've got a gorgeous smile. You are not only an inspiration to so many, but you are also a hero of strength with a heart of gold. Thanks for being so candid about your feelings... Just know that the friends you have let into your life & your heart right now are the ones who will continue to be there and will never let you down. You are amazing! Your friend, Bunnie

mama wava said...

Never forget you have your Louisiana family that loves you very much. You and Nani are welcome any time, we have never stopped loving you Jesse. And you are right, a phone call is all it takes to brighten someone's day. We will be better about that!
Love you,