Monday, April 28, 2008

Skiing Snowbird in Utah







I finally did it. I went snow skiing for the first time since my accident. Lets just say I had a blast. I have been telling myself for the past 12 years that I will never go skiing because I don't like the cold weather, but that all changed yesterday. It all started because I was in Utah for a fundraiser for a disabled athlete who is going to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro with a specially made hand-bike. Wow, isn't that amazing just to think about? Well anyway, I honestly felt like he inspired me to give snow skiing a try. With words of encouragement and the help of an amazingly nice and kind friend named David who actually set my whole trip up, I accomplished something that I said I would never do, Ski. At first I thought it was going to be so hard and that I would fall down the whole mountain, but luckily I had a great instructor who helped me feel comfortable and safe. Yesterday the weather was exactly what I was hoping for, warm and sunny. We also were lucky enough to have a film crew documenting this beautiful experience. After being placed in a sit down ski that is specially designed for a disabled athlete, I was ready to give skiing a chance. As soon as we heading down the mountain I could feel that I was learning how to ski very quickly. I was nervous at first but that soon changed to pure enjoyment. After skiing for a few hours I was really happy that I gave it a chance. The beauty in the mountains made my experience even that much more memorable.

If there is anything out there that is something positive in the world that you have been pushing aside because you are afraid to try it, I challenge you to reach deep inside yourself and give it a chance. You never know, it may be the best thing you have ever done. Follow your heart and make the unknown, known.



2 comments:

Gaina said...

By the middle of that last video I can tell you were getting the hang of that, you're whole body language changed. So when are you doing it again?

It's funny I should see this video today (I know you posted it a while ago but for some reason I'm not getting emails to say your blog is updating) because on the way back from a day out with my friends we passed a local dry ski slope and they asked if I'd ever tried it.

Hmm...I'm still not sure - I think my Art degree is testing me quite sufficiently for now, thank you very much. :P

Tina said...

I think this is great that you accomplished snow skiing nice. I would love to do that but my fear would be being afraid I would hit a tree but it looks like you had a blast very inspiring.

Tina